Tuesday, September 21, 2010

UK energy statistics

UK is one of the largest energy consumers in the world. In the 2008 UK consumed around 9.85 exajoules (EJ) - approximately 2% of the estimated world energy use.

Transport consumes most of the energy in the UK with 38.83% of total energy consumption, while industry accounts for around 20% of UK's total energy consumption. In the last 30 years the amount of fuel used by transport had risen by around 60%.

The most important fuel for electricity generation in UK is natural gas that produces 39.93% of UK's electricity, followed by coal with 33%, and nuclear energy with 19,26%.

UK's most important renewable energy source are biofuels accounting for 39.4% of all renewable energy produced.

Solar energy in United Kingdom represents less than 0,3% of total EU solar capacity.

UK currently has more than 250 operating wind farms.

UK is the largest producer of oil and second-largest producer of natural gas in the European Union, though in the last couple of years there has been a severe decline in production of both of these fuels.

Fossil fuels account for 78% of UK's electricity. Renewable energy sources, including hydropower account for only 5% of UK's electricity.

There are currently 10 operating nuclear power plants in United Kingdom.

UK's oil production in 2009 was 1.5 million barrels per day, of which 86% was crude oil. UK currently has 3.1 billion barrels proven oil reserves.

UK consumed 60.2 million short tons of coal in 2009.

In 2008, UK's per capita energy-related CO2 emissions were 9.4 metric tons.

1 comment:

  1. I was asked about what I use and also advised at how I can benefit even more by managing my usage of electricity better (washings etc during the day) I'm also not a night person, so therefor would use very little elec in the evening but the surveyor has based his calculations on me saving half my energy which surprised me as I would think that he's trying to sell me something, he could easily say that I'm saving more (this was not usual salesman, like double glazing)


    Ive been told I will save minimum 50% on my bill but most likely more.

    ReplyDelete